Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Invisible No More

In this journey I am on I have made several observations that I did not realize before. One being I am no longer invisible...and really didn't realize I was before my weight loss..As I go out I notice every day people interacting with me. Small conversations, smiles, hellos are a regular part of my day now as I run my errands... 40 lbs ago it was not the case. I was invisible I guess, because I don't remember conversations, smiles, hellos from strangers in my day. Some days it really takes my by surprise. It often lifts my spirits. In defense of the public.. I am sure some of it was my fault because my weight probably kept me from walking tall, feeling good about myself , maybe not projecting a friendly manor. I always thought of myself as friendly...but now I am really not sure what I projected each day. The most obvious experience occurred on Saturday. We had been at Costco during a fat load day( part of the diet) and decided to indulge in some ice cream. Alan had taken the boys and groceries and gone to the car. Shannon and I walked to the exit holding two of their big ice cream bars and two cups of frozen yogurt for the boys. A youngish man was at the door took a look at us and said to Shannon( in a flirty kind of way)" OOOOOOOH which one of these should I take...a wink and a big smile" When we got out of ear shot..both Shannon and I looked at each other and said" Okay before our weight loss that would NEVER have happened..most people would say nothing to two large ladies with ice cream...probably would have thought...something negative.It was a silly simple little thing. Shannon and I laughed and we did have an enjoyable moment and it did feel good....but as I thought about it later it made me a little sad about how we judge people and sometimes don't even realize we are doing it.... by our words, expressions and body language. It is a wake up call to me that as I embark on this new way of living to always be aware of how I portray my underlying feelings and to try NOT TO JUDGE anyone in anyway....

No comments: