Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Reflections of Christ



A few weeks ago our Stake had the privilege of hosting this exhibit....Refections of Christ by Mark Mabry. It is a series of photographs depicting the life of Christ. Alan and I were asked to host a shift or two. The first shift we took together was on a Sunday evening and we were posted at the front entry to direct people. Before we started our shift we walked through the exhibit but didn't have time to watch a video that went with it....regarding the making of the photographs.


We really enjoyed the exhibit and the spirit we felt there....we had a good time hosting and meeting and greeting those who came.


On tuesday I went to do a two hour shift on my own. I went early so I could watch the video about the how the photography was done. which was absolutely amazing! Then I was posted inside the exhibit by a table with a guest book.


So for two hours I sat and stood amongst these wonderful photos depicting the Savior listening to the uplifting music that went with it. I watched the faces of people as they came through and listened to comments. No where were people asked to whisper but the conversation was always in hushed tones, almost like the exhibit itself demanded reverence. Even the little children whispered and asked their parents many thoughtful questions. Most people came through several times...not wanting to leave the spirit they felt there.


At the end of the two hours I was reluctant to leave. I had felt the spirit soft and gentle for the whole time I was there. I found myself wishing I could come home and sell everything and just go and serve the Savior full time. I thought alot about the trappings of the world that encumber us. I thought about my old bishop and his favorite saying " We get so caught up in the thick of thin things" I don't know if that was his saying or not but it is sooooo very true. I found myself thinking over and over again" This is what it is all about....This is what is real and true". Then I thought about my first thought when asked to host...if I am being honest I would say the very first thought was " I am too busy".but because it was my dear friend Patti asking me I said of course I can help. What if I had said I was too busy I would have missed this spiritual feast. For what? Then I found myself wondering what other opportunities to serve have I missed out on?

Maybe a serious attitude adjustment is needed on my part....

But alas I did have to leave and the realities of this life do come to pass.... but I still find myself wondering what I can do to keep those feelings. How do I serve so that I feel that part of my heart and soul being filled? Truly what would the Savior have me do? My testimony of the Savior and His divine role was once again strengthened and my prayer is that I can strive to have His spirit with me always.


I have posted this video so you can feel a little of the spirit I felt during this two hour period..and if you have the opportunity to visit the exhibit....TAKE IT! It may change your life.







1 comment:

Nadine Stewart said...

Hi Michelle,

Nadine Stewart (Wilkins) here, I was reading Shannon's blog and stumbled upon yours. If you don't mind I'd like to send the link to your blog to my mom. She talks about you often. We have fond memories of your family growing up, I especially will never forget the one and only time Craig babysat me! lol!

Anyways, I'm living in Kelso, WA now we're not too far, I'd like to get together with you and Shannon some time if we're ever through your way or if you guys are ever down this way.

Thanks for posting the information about the Reflections of Christ Exhibit. It looks great, I think I remember seeing a book at the bookstore with those photos in it.

Was it our church that hosted this exhibit, I'm wondering how we could get our stake or ward to host it. IT would be a nice idea to do before christmas. I read on that website there are alot of travel arrangements and $ involved just wondering how it was organized up there.

It was good to see a pic of you and Alan, and I know my mom would love to hear from you.

Nadine